Delivering Outreach Rehabilitation Service (OutRehabs Unit) is a community based outpatient and outreach rehabilitation services initiative that provides outreach rehabilitation support services to clients who have physical impairments, particularly neurological and musculoskeletal problems with the purpose of maximizing their level of independent functioning. Clients have access to a variety of health care professionals, providing a holistic approach for optimal individualized care. The various services include, but are not limited to – clinical assessment, treatment / therapy, impairment education, psycho-social support etc.
DORehabs’ Mission Statement
- To strive to provide the best quality care, based on evidence-supported scientific practices
- To collaborate with community partners to enhance the quality of life of our clients
- To advocate for our clients needs both internally and externally.
- To promote research, education and development. This includes participation in research, student supervision and academic teaching
Members Of The DORehabs?
DORehabs utilizes an interdisciplinary team approach that is client-centred. The team includes members from the following disciplines:
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work
- Clinical Nutrition
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Speech-Language Pathology
The following services can also be arranged:
- Prosthetic and Orthotic Services
- Pulmonary Services
- Foot Care
Who is Eligible For The DORehabs
- Patients who are 18 years of age and older who have been referred by a physician
- Patients in the IPH+MORE operations district
- Patients with complex neuromuscular, musculoskeletal or orthopedic diagnoses, multiple medical problems, facing limitations or impairments in their functioning (e.g. mobility or complex pain), or with other similar complex needs
- Patients requiring the unique services of either a specialized interdisciplinary team or rehabilitation specialists
- Patients who have measurable goals and require unique services from rehabilitation specialists.
- Patients who are medically stable and are able to participate in an active rehabilitation program.
Which Rehabilitation Issues Can The DORehabs Address?
- Medical management
- Personal care
- Physical functioning
- Activities of daily living
- Mobility issues
- Cognitive difficulties
- Nutritional issues
- Recreational concerns
- Vocational functioning
- Emotional or adjustment difficulties
What Is The DORehabs Clinical Process?
- Patients must see their physician and obtain a referral to The Rehabilitation Centre.
- Eligible patients are then scheduled for a consultation with a physiatrist and/or other team members in order to assess their condition and set achievable goals, and will be referred to the various disciplines within the centre as appropriate.
- Patients receive treatment, education and counselling at The Rehabilitation Centre according to need, on an individual basis or in groups.
- Patients may also be referred for assessment / consultation only.
- DORehabs links with community organizations and agencies to help ensure that clients continue to maintain and optimize their level of function and independence.
- Patients may be referred to a community service while receiving treatment at The Rehabilitation Centre, or this link may be made as part of the discharge planning process.
What Are The Clinical Hours?
The clinical hours are variable from Monday to Friday during the day. Clinical services are not usually offered on weekends, evenings or statutory holidays except in special / emergency cases.